These cards were definitely trial and error. Maybe more error than trial..lol. But I learn from my mistakes! The first one I cut out my masking paper with a spellbinders die and then cut the circle out of the middle. I tried the same technique Jennifer did with the Tim Holtz marker mister thingie (<--technical name). I wanted all my inks to match so I used the CTMH alcohol marker in Sky to try to give a light background to the exposed area. It turned out more like a spattering than misting. I'm not sure if it was the marker or the way I had it in the mister. It's definitely a great new toy that I will be practicing with. I then used the pigment inks from CTMH and the SSS September '13 card kit stamp set, Life is a Journey, to make the flowers and sentiment. In order to get the definitive outline of the cutout I should have maybe used more mist or daubed on some ink to make the edges pop. It was new and fun and I'll be trying this technique again.
The card below was inspired a card by Kara Vrabel. I cut out a star from the masking tape and then built around it with stamps. I used the SSS July '13 card kit stamp set, Cupcake Party, and CTMH dye inks on this one in Moonstruck, Cranberry, and Honey. Another fun and quick card. Practice makes perfect, right?
The card below started out to be a one layer card inspired by Laura Bassen's cards. I thought instead of using my masking tape I'll just use post it notes. Generally, that would be fine, but not today. After I got my rectangle masked off and stamped all my circles, I discovered that somehow ink had gotten under the post it note. So, this is my rescued card.
I loved the look of all the dots on her card. Dots are very in I think. Sadly, I don't have many solid dot stamps in various sizes. But what I do have is round shaped stamps. I took my round shaped stamped and flipped them over and used the cling side as my stamp. Voila! Circle stamps. I used CTMH inks in Pacifica, Lagoon, Honey, Cranberry, Gypsy, and Whisper. It was kind of an odd color combo, but this was about trial and error, so I went with it. When I got through and stamped my sentiment, I really wanted some more black. I didn't have any black enamel dots, but what I did have was black Enamel Accents. You can squeeze some out in little dot like forms on some waxy paper and let them dry and can make your own enamel dots of any size you want. That's what I did here.
I still have tons of techniques from the card class I want to try out. I'll be sure to share my trials and errors when I do.
That's it for me tonight. Thanks for stopping by!